Find out how National Oil Companies impact economies at home and abroad, using data from the Natural Resource Governance Institute
2019-09-19T16:00:00Z → 2019-09-25T21:00:00Z
We’re running a week-long virtual hackathon for our community members, with a £100 prize voucher available for the best insight as decided by team members from the NRGI and from Count! Test and improve your data skills, discuss your findings with fellow data enthusiasts, and be in with a chance of winning our competition and being featured in the Count community hall of fame.
Count has partnered with the Natural Resource Governance Institute to share data from the National Oil Company Database for our community to explore. Discover the role that national oil companies play in their home-country economies and in the global oil and gas markets.
Access the data on Count here!
How the competition will work
Timings: The competition opens at 17:00 on Thursday 19th September (UK time) and entries are to be submitted by 22:00 on Wednesday 25th September. (You can join in at any time during the week.) We will announce the winner on this page at midday, 26th September.
Late to the party? Don’t worry, you can still share and discuss findings on this page after the 25th September, but your entry won’t be part of the competition.
Pick from one of the following challenges:
- What do trends in the National Oil Companies dataset tell us about the countries/regions that will be most in the spotlight during the energy transition?
- How do you assess the evolution of the economic and financial success of National Oil Companies, or of particular NOC(s), over time?
Tool: Entries in any tool are welcome. You can explore the data using Count’s new data publishing platform, which we’re building so people can find, explore and visualise data easily and share their discoveries all in one place. Or, you can download data tables to analyse and visualise in any another tool of your choice.
Help: If you need help during the event, use the community help pages or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org We will get back to you as soon as possible during working hours. First time using Count? Check out our guidance materials on how to use Count before exploring the data for yourself.
Submissions can include up to 3 charts and a short description of up to 500 characters of what the charts show. We are looking for the best insight (the content of the finding is more important than a beautiful looking visual). To submit your entry:
- Share your findings by replying to this message! You’ll need to sign up as a community member on the top right of this page. (It only takes a few seconds.)
- Copy the link to your finding and add a brief (1-2 sentence) description of your insight.
Remember our community guidelines when sharing and discussing findings:
- Include a link to your work and the data source, or just copy the link to your chart(s) if you are using Count
- Add a short, clear description (up to 500 characters)
- You can use any tool to create your insight, but make sure you still cite the data source and do not use any proprietary data in creating your results.
- Don’t plagiarise! Don’t just repost someone else’s work - like their contribution instead. Credit people who helped you create your finding.
- We want to be a friendly, constructive community. Abide by our community rules when responding to each others’ findings.